Monday, December 14, 2009

Letting Daddy Be Daddy

I was just reading some mom-blogs and came across this article.  I remembered the feeling she discusses of wanting to be super mom. After Na'Im had been with us a few months but still hadn't bonded with Michael fully yet, that feeling of not wanting to leave them alone together, of panicking that Michael wouldn't know exacly what every facial expression or noise meant, thinking that I was MOM and had to be at Na'Im's side every second I wasn't at work. I think I tried to keep those feelings under wraps most of the time, but admittedly I remember freaking out a bit unnecessarily on my poor husband, who would just look at me wondering who this crazed woman was and where his calm wife had gone! 

Thankfully, I realized how foolish trying to be everything to Na'Im was, and how much he would miss out if I didn't back off and let Daddy be daddy.  Some of my best moments of the day now are listening to Daddy and son playing together in the other room, or when I can hear their laughter from upstairs at I'm making dinner, or watching Daddy teach Na'Im how to shoot pinecone "rockets" or seeing Na'Im leave my side to go snuggle with Dad.  There is no one else who can make Na'Im laugh the way that his Daddy can.  No one else plays with him as roughly (but safely!) as Daddy, Na'Im trusts no one else like he trusts his Dad.  And that's beyond precious. 

I wonder after reading this article about the huge disservice I could have done to Na'Im if I had continued to hold on to him so tightly.  Would he have ever bonded so thoroughly with Michael?  Would he ever look at Michael the way he does, with such open admiration?  Would he have turned into a ~gasp!~ "Momma's Boy"? And how stressed out would my entire household be if I was trying to commandeer everything on my own? 

Every day, I become more grateful for the blessings I've been given.  Today, mostly for the gift of my incredible husband, who makes the most wonderful Daddy I've ever seen.  I'm so glad he stepped in and grew into his father role so quickly and so well.  Na'Im and I are both better people because of it.

No comments: