Today my work day was spent in an all-day department meeting. Yes, I'm talking 8:30-5:30 straight. No April Fool-ing here! Which, of course, meant that I was in at 7:45 and out at 6:00. Despite the longer hours and the looooong meeting time, it turned out to be a pretty enlightening day. Here are some things I learned:
1. I am an INFJ (Introversion, Intuition, Feeling, Judging, with my highest score being the J). We did the Meyers-Briggs Personality Test (spent three hours in exercises learning about how to work together, it was really a very good session) and my personality is described as "Inpiring Leader and Follower". Apparently, I: a. seek meaning and connection in ideas, relationships, and material posessions b. want to understand what motivates people and am insightful about others 3. am concientious and committed to my firm values d. develop a clear vision about how best to serve the common good, and e. am organized and decisive in implementing my vision.
1a. I wholeheartedly agree.
2. Today I learned drinking three cups of coffee during said morning session equals many, many trips to the loo. Almost as many as the pregnant lady in the group. Embarrassing.
3. I love to cook. I mean, this is my passion. I love food, I love the way food brings people together, I love getting in the kitchen and cooking, I love teaching other people how to cook, I love watching others enjoy my food...and I love, love, love leading my team in winning the cooking contest we did today! Yessssss!
4. I look great in an apron. I mean, c;mon. Seriously.
5. Watch what you say to the big boss. For instance, when she asks "So, Rebecca, how's your job?", don't immediately blurt out "What job? This one? Oh, piece of cake!".
6. And when said big boss (who's name also happens to be Rebecca, we're Rebecca A and Rebecca B) asks you how your adoption process is going, don't get teary-eyed and gripe about the process. I'm proud to say I fielded her (and the others who jumped in) questions carefully, kindly, and didn't reveal to much of the angst, as no one at work really wants to hear any of that. Maybe that made up for my other outburst?
7. When you're participating in said cooking contest and the other big boss is taking pictures, remember to STOP cutting the onion while you pose for the pic. Near-disaster.
8. Come up with something really smart to say when asked to share with the entire team what you learned that day. Be prepared.
9. Try to learn something new at these meetings.
10. I learned I stil don't love my job, and my desire to attend culinary school and open a personal chef business grew by leaps and bounds today, but overall, I realized it's a pretty darn good place to be working right now. And you know what? I actually genuinely LIKE the people I work with (well, most of them!), which is good for this INFJ.
3 comments:
BahaaHaaahahahaha!!! I love this post. I was cracking up, crying and did I say laughing alreday?
Oh, Ro, I could hear you saying it all and I just loved it :D
I really like how you put "3" instead of "C" in your INFJ list.
I feel the same way about cooking. I think people get a little sick of me wanting to FEED them all the time. But it truly is how I show love!
Did you really say that to the "big boss"?! HILARIOUS!!
Ah Bex, you are HILARIOUS. I am DYING OVAH HERE. Can you post one of these "things you learned" once a week? It should be your new trademark. :)
Post a Comment