Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Thoughts on this song/video?

8 comments:

Rebecca said...

Shout out to Kelly Sue for teaching me how to post videos! Scary that Kid Rock is the first one, eh?

Unknown said...

Off the top of my head...

1. These are all nice, noble, sentiments he's expressing. I have a little problem with him asking me not to care when he gets high, though, because he might endanger me or my children while he's high.

2. And expressing noble sentiments to sell music? Gah...it kind of gave me that "We Are the World," "God Bless the USA" feeling. Belief in God = patriotism = in your face attitude. Whaaaat?

3. My kids think he believes in Jesus because he says "AMEN" so many times. Which could be true, but I guess we still have a little to learn about discerning someone's heart here....

4. Wasn't he married to Pamela Anderson for a while?

But admittedly, I am usually distrustful of your run-of-the-mill celebrity calling us to a higher standard. So maybe I have some prejudices of my own to get over.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Kelly on this one. Maybe if Michael W. Smith was singing this song I would feel differantly.

Anonymous said...

"...admittedly, I am usually distrustful of your run-of-the-mill celebrity calling us to a higher standard."

Dare I say, uh..."Amen!"

I think Mr. Rock one night sat down and vomited out onto paper all of the most noble thoughts that an unregenerate sinner can muster. This song is a catch all for those thoughts. He re-worked them into pithy lyrics, added emotion-stirring imagery, and, voila, a pretty good tune that I can rock out to in my car but wouldn't base my theology on:)

He makes some good points, some bad points, and some seemingly contradictory ones. I'd have to re-watch the video to give examples.

My pastor has been preaching through the Sermon on the Mount for the last, oh, 2.5 years. We just got to Matthew 6 (48 verses in 2.5 years, you do the math), but the one verse he keeps going back to as the key to the sermon is Matthew 5:20 ("unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees..."). The prayer at the end of the sermon usually contains language similar to this: "God, You have blessed us with much knowledge and the ability to know Your will through Your Word. Please close the gap between what we KNOW and what we DO." Amen.

Let's make Christ our example, the Gospel our banner, and God's glory our goal for helping the weak and downtrodden, loving the unlovable, and doing unto others.

Bob

Anonymous said...

By the way, Michael and Becky, I've been meaning to call you. I'll try to do so today. Hope all is well.

Anonymous said...

I like the lyrical vomit metaphor that Bob used.

So, I'll give a hearty AMEN to that, and everything else he said. Because, its pretty much what I wanted to say only, much better.

I guess its okay to be self-righteous when that righteousness lines up with one's own flawed view of the universe.

Anonymous said...

p.s. note the intended heavy sarcasm in the last line of my comment.

Anonymous said...

"...rock out to in my car"

Let it be known that I would only rock out to this with the windows closed.