While sitting this morning in the "Meeting for Worship" at the Quaker Friends school I'm currently working at, I found myself contemplating the words to a beautifully simple song the schoolchildren sing to open each meeting. "Peace is helping, peace is sharing, peace is giving love...". As the final notes drifted away and the intended silence began, I wondered what peace really means. Is it as simple as giving of yourself to others? Does peace come from discovering what love really is? Is true peace actually attainable beyond the individual level? Can a society of people truly co-exist in complete peace with each other or is our human nature something that repels peacefulness? Is peace dependent on your personal faith system, or dependent on the existence of the Christian God? And personally, what does peace look like to me and how can/should I share my peace with others?
Is it simply this?:
"Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in a the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart." (unknown)
What would our personal lives, our households, our schools, our churches, our societies look like if we all embraced peace on a larger scale?
No comments:
Post a Comment