From time to time when my husband and I share our life-long desires to build our family through fostering/adoption, we come across some interesting comments. This may be the trouble with being so open about our plan, others seem to see our openness as an invitation to share their particular world, political, social or personal view. While I claim to have a fairly thick skin, I'm always still amazed when people react with shock, or make comments like "Why would you do that?" or better yet, the always placating "That's nice.". It's particularly maddening to me when we get these adverse reactions from those who claim to be Christians.
I remember very clearly learning when I was six years old the verse in the scriptures that charges us with taking care of the widows and orphans. My young mind digested that information as just something that we who have faith do. That value has lasted into my adulthood and while it hasn't happened for us as soon as we would have hoped, adoption is never far from my heart. That's why this article caught my eye...Jason Kovacs of the ABBA fund blog calculates that it would take only 6-7% of "born-again Christians" to adopt ALL of the world's orphans. That's it. Not 90%, or 75% or even 10%, just 6%.
You can take this post as a bit of a pre-cursor (or warning if that's how you want to see it!) that this blog will be changing focus a bit. I'll still be updating you on our personal family life, but trust me when I say I know it's not all that exciting! So we'll be taking a deeper dive into the world of adoption and foster care on these pages. My hope is to at minimum help to educate you and open your eyes to worlds that you may not walk in often or ever. At best, I hope to inspire you to join the forces of incredible people who open their hearts, homes and lives to creating temporary and forever families for the nation and world's most needy kids.
New title pending! Suggestions welcome.
1 comment:
The Sparks are on board Becky! We hope to one day (lets see how I handle 2 kiddos) get our adoption paper work back into action. I'm looking forward to your upcoming posts. This is a great way to educate all those who think adoption is the "nice" thing to do. My favorite " don't you want to have your OWN kids" ouch!!! I think it's important to keep your head up and use education as a means for dealing with those whose words are a bit sharp - education is key because most are just speaking out of ignorance on the subject. I read a great book that really carried me through the adoption paper work process - I'll either send you a copy or the info once we're all settled in. I love you!!! p.s. i'm really going to think of a name to suggest for the blog ; )
Post a Comment