Thursday, June 12, 2008

36 Hours In!

And still going strong! The four of us are adapting to life together, to our new, temporary family unit. From our end, we still feel so amazed that this is actually happening. The children are absolutely wonderful, we really couldn't have asked for better kids!

Yesterday was field trip day for "J" (I don't want to use their names online, so "J" will be the 10-year old girl and "F" the 22 mos boy) and F hung out with Michael all day. Michael was super busy running the errands that are required to complete the DYFS paperwork (still going on today, too) and gather items for the kids (clothes, etc). I am swamped at work right now, of course, and couldn't leave until 5:00. When I got home, F had been running a fever and was almost at 102, so we had to take him to the ER (DYFS rules) where I spent two hours with him. He did really well when given the thermometer and Tylenol rectally and we were home after a stop at Wal-Mart by 8:00. I missed my 8pm class last night and am hoping to make tonight's at 7. Long day for me, but welcome to mother-hood!

Last night F didn't sleep well due to the fever, so we were both up a lot during the night. I don't know how I'm standing upright and focusing at work today! We have a 1:30 intake appointment at the daycare center here at Campbell's for F, who will begin on Monday if we can get his immunizations up to date by then. J will attend the Urban summer camp.

So we're fully into it now! Late nights, hospital trip (where I was able to share my nephew's story with two moms who had girls with Sickle Cell Anemia! Your ripple effect moves forward, Orilus!), daycare enrollment, school meetings with the teachers... we're parents! And even though we know it's temporary, we LOVE these kids. And we're so, so happy to be parents. This is what we were made to do. Together.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

awh! wish i lived closer to see you be a mom and Mike a dad. i know you're doing a great job.

Tracy Novick said...

Hooray!
So glad you have a crazy full house for Father's Day.