Thursday, January 3, 2008

Make Way For Baby!

The new year has begun, and it looks to be a significant one for us! This will be the year that we become parents, and so we thought it appropriate to spend New Year's Day preparing the house for the baby that will soon come. We ended up moving furniture all day long, bookcases to the living room from the office upstairs, one guest bed to the basement, the other into the office, my dresser into the office, the bassinet and other baby furniture into the now-former guest room, the yellow cushy chair from the living up to the new baby's room, the rug from the office to the baby's room, the disassembled crib to the baby's room...a very long day, but it's done! We now have a room dedicated soley to the baby. Now all we need is said baby!

New Year's Day also marked for us the beginning of what could potentially be a very long wait. We are almost through the adoption process (just waiting for the call to make the appointment to have our house inspected) and once we're through that (should be by the end of this month), we enter the dreaded no-man's land. We have no idea how long it will be until we get the call that a baby is free and ready for us. It could be a matter of days, it could be up to a year. That's the difficult and confusing part of adopting through the state. So we're bracing ourselves for possibly having a baby's room all set up and sitting empty for a year. Not an easy thing to think of, but when you look at it from the other side, it's exciting! It's going to happen THIS YEAR! We've been waiting for so long...hoping to be parents for over five years, and it's actually happening. I think often of all of the other couples in America who deal with the same emotions...wanting to be parents so badly, knowing down to your bones you'll be excellent ones, loving on other people's kids but crying in the car on the way home because your backseat is still empty, hoping every month for good news but only being disappointed...so much more that only those of us who have dealt with infertility can understand. The end is in sight for us, and with that end brings a new beginning, the beginning of our family.

Other events coming up this year for me (Becky) include:
-Furthering my education at Camden County College...I'll be pursuing a Certificate in HR Management through the AMA
-Getting into better physical shape culminating in running the Philly Half Marathon in November
-Working together with Mike to pay off lots of debt! (including working a part-time job)
-Being proactive about utilizing my creative abilities...disciplining myself to write every week etc
-Settling into a church family

Bring it on, 2008!

8 comments:

Jason DeStratis said...

We love you guys... and we're praying for a quick adoption process! Go Team A!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a wonderful room...especially the cushy yellow chair! I can't wait to see what the Lord has in store for your family this year!

Anonymous said...

Woo! I'm so excited for you guys! Much love and prayers coming your way!

Amanda said...

Oh Becky and Mike - I know the yearning feelings and I am SOOO thrilled that this could be the year - how exciting. I am praying for you guys as a couple, as parents and for emotions during the wait. I love you bunches upon bunches.

Diddo, Kelly's comment about the comfy yellow chair ;) can I come sit in it?

Rebecca said...

Anyone who wants to come sit in the big yellow cushy chair is welcome at any time...however, it may be required of you to cover an overnight shift for us! :-)

sunnyrock said...

So excited for you guys! We'll be praying that cute baby comes soon and that you'll be blessed beyond measure!

I'd love to sit in the comfy yellow chair as well, but not sure if I want to do the overnight shift for you. I've been doing a lot of those lately! The quiet nights are good momma/baby bonding time! :-)

Melissa Winchell said...

yippeee for a new nephew or niece! the boys are super-excited to have a new cousin on the way!

Jenny said...

Yay for another niece or nephew!! I can't wait. I love you guys so much and miss you like crazy :)