Monday, November 19, 2007

What a Weekend!

Phew! It's over!

We had such a wonderful weekend! Even though it was super busy, I had a feeling of just really being in every moment all weekend-long, and being very "in-tune" to what was going on instead of thinking ahead to the next event. A re-cap:

-Our social worker showed up for her appointment with us at our home. We began the official homestudy which this week consisted of her getting our family backgrounds and histories.

-Friday night's turkey dinner at Brian and Sandy Newhall's site was so much fun. They had a huge turnout, about 50 people I think, plus staff. Sandy asked me to man the craft table, which I was happy to do as it allowed me to chill with the little kids all evening. I really miss being around children...our job at the church/school really spoiled me in that we were constantly around kids 6-7 days a week. So it was great to have some fun conversations and see the different interpretations that were created of the Apple Turkeys we were making. (Craft Idea: Insert 9 toothpicks in one row of 5 and one row of 4 on one end of apple to make a turkey's tail, and insert one toothpick on the other end for his head, place Spice Gum Drops on each toothpick and voila! you have an Apple Turkey!)

-Saturday's DYFS class was really good. We talked about Loss and Grieving as related to our own lives and those that adopted children experience. It was a heavy class. But necessary to get us all thinking of the many losses adoption children do experience, even if adopted from birth. With each passing week, I am more and more convinved that adopting state kids is for us. And we're looking forward to being a foster family someday as well. Class ended at 3:30 which allowed us a much-needed nap before....

-Ros' turkey dinner! So much fun there, too, she had a great turnout of her kids and parents as well. Great food that was catered by a church/deli in PA. The BEST cranberry-apple relish I've ever had in my life!

-Sunday we were out the door at 6am to take Brent to his Half-Marathon and cheer him on! Yes, this is the same one I'll be running next November with my sister Debby! I was so excited to be able to see the course and the atmosphere. It's so great, and I'm so motivated to run it now! This was Brent's first half and he did 2:35:48 even with a pulled leg muscle! It was really amazing to hear afterwards how his whole run was a deep spiritual experience, one that really pulled him closer to God and reminded him in a very physical way of our deep and absolute need and dependence on Him. He said he had read Psalm 25 before he ran that morning and kept repeating it while he pushed through the run:

From "The Message":
"2 My head is high, God, held high; I'm looking to you, God; No hangdog skulking for me.
3 I've thrown in my lot with you; You won't embarrass me, will you? Or let my enemies get the best of me? Don't embarrass any of us Who went out on a limb for you. It's the traitors who should be humiliated.
4 Show me how you work, God; School me in your ways.
5 Take me by the hand; Lead me down the path of truth. You are my Savior, aren't you?
6 Mark the milestones of your mercy and love, God; Rebuild the ancient landmarks!
7 Forget that I sowed wild oats; Mark me with your sign of love. Plan only the best for me, God!
8 God is fair and just; He corrects the misdirected, Sends them in the right direction.
9 He gives the rejects his hand, And leads them step-by-step.
10 From now on every road you travel will take you to God. Follow the Covenant signs; Read the charted directions.
11 Keep up your reputation, God; Forgive my bad life; It's been a very bad life.
12 My question: What are God-worshipers like? Your answer: Arrows aimed at God's bull's-eye.
13 They settle down in a promising place; Their kids inherit a prosperous farm.
14 God-friendship is for God-worshipers; They are the ones he confides in.
15 If I keep my eyes on God, I won't trip over my own feet."

-Sunday afternoon we hosted Mike's streetleaders over for a Thanksgiving dinner. That was such a special time for us of just being able to stop and thank each of them for all of their hard work so far this year and all the years that we've not been here. And for me, it was a good time to get to know them better, and to see Michael interacting with them. They are truly wonderful kids, every one of them, we're blessed to be able to get to know them.

-Sunday night...I was in bed at 7:30 pm! Aaaaah...blissful sleep!

Mike's turkey dinner is tonight, then he's on vacation until the 26th when ASP starts back up. I'm working longer days this week through Wednesday to try to make up some time with having unpaid holidays this week. Thursday morning we leave super early with Brent to go home to MA for the weekend, and are back super early on Sunday morning. I can't wait to see everyone at home...my in-laws' new house (where they're graciously hosting Mike, Brent and I for the weekend), all my in-laws minus one family, my sisters, hubbies, nephews and mom...and Boston. Should be a great weekend!

Today as I was walking out to the car, I started to whine to myself about how cold and rainy and icy it is and how the heat in our car doesn't work...and I had the genuine thought come to me of the homeless and poor families who have not a car to drive, have not a job to work in a nice warm office, have not a home with working heat or the money to turn the heat on, have not the invitations to attend 7 Thanksgivings this year, and on and on....and so many of these situations are happening right next door to me, right in the homes that I look at every day, in the homes of the children and teens that Michael sees every day. My perspective on Thanksgiving is changing again, back to where it used to be before I spent so many years in the cushy suburban life where I wasn't challenged with the world's needs on my doorstep. Oh God, may I never again lose the perspective that you have of your children and your cities. May your love and desperation for their hearts grow also in mine until I can't do anything but share you. May I never again take for granted all that you have graciously given me. From now on, may I keep my eyes on You alone, so I don't continuously trip over my own feet.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like it was a very fruitful weekend for you guys! Praise the Lord for sustaining you!

Amanda said...

Thank you Ro for allowing us to hear your heart and the ways your eyes are opened during daily things. It helps those of us have a 'reality check' moment when we don't experience it every day. Thank you!