Wednesday, October 17, 2007

My New World

My First post! This is the other half of the Andrejczyk family in Camden--Mike! I just thought I would give an update to everyone about some of the ups and downs that seem to go along with Urban Ministry.

We have seen some great things since we have been here, awesome kids and relationships with these kids deepening each and every day. Just the other day i invited some kids over to our house to watch the Patriots eventually crush the Dallas Cowboys this past Sunday-- we had 20 show up. It was amazing, we snacked, cheered for our teams and kidded one another when either team messed up or did something amazing. It was beautiful!!!

Then yesterday things that you would never think of happen. we have a friend who directs another camp in East Camden who had to travel last night to South Camden (where my camp is) to drop off some kids after a fun night of hanging out... her bus got paint balled... that's right kids hit her bus with paint balls fired from a paint ball gun. i also had a girl tell me that she had to be dropped off at the hospital.. I asked her why and she told me that her brother had been shot. It is hard to wrap your mind around things like this and yet destruction is all around me.

How do you show a child how to respect when no one here respects. How do you watch kids come to your house and behave perfectly and then utterly destroy our program site... breaking windows. doors, tables and chairs with seeming regularity-- it is always interesting.

We love Camden and adore our "kids" but it is not easy... Please pray that God will give wisdom, creativity and influence here in Camden. I know that He has a plan for these children i just pray that through hoplessness they find hope, through streets that look like a war zone they find peace, amidst burned out and empty houses they can create a home in their communities where they are safe and look out for one another.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

YAY on your first blog entry, babe! I'm so proud to be married to you and to be working alongside of you in Camden!

Melissa Winchell said...

cool post, Mike! thanks for sharing your heart. hey, does that family still need beds?

Amanda said...

Thanks for posting Mike! It gives great insight to your heart and what to pray specifically for within the ministry.

Jenny said...

Hey Mike!
Awesome post. I'm so happy this all has fallen in to place and worked out for the two of you. I know this has been on both of your hearts even before you were married. Its awesome to see it come to light. I love you both. Can't wait to read more.